Christ the Saviour Sisterhood is a philanthropic women's group that has been serving this parish for 60 years in diverse ways. From caring for the needs of the sanctuary to the parsonage, the sisterhood has been a selfless humble team of service for God's glory. Monthly meetings take place following Divine Liturgy where all members are welcome of all ages. This group is growing and exploring new oppurtutnies to serve and share the Orthodox Faith with everyone from this November 19th with a new event called a TASTE OF FASTING to bringing back the traditional Holy Supper meal that will be offered following Divine Liturgy on Christmas Eve this December 24th. We are thankful for all that the Sisterhood has done over the years and continues to do!
PATRON SAINT OF SISTERHOOD
Saint Euphrosyne, Abbess of Polotsk, was named Predslava in the world, and was the daughter of Prince George Vseslavich. From her childhood she was noted for her love of prayer and book learning. After turning down a proposal of marriage, Predslava received monastic tonsure with the name Euphrosyne. With the blessing of Bishop Elias of Polotsk, she began to live near the Sophia cathedral, where she occupied herself by the copying of books.
Around the year 1128 Bishop Elias entrusted the nun with the task of organizing a women’s monastery. Setting out for Seltso, the site of the future monastery, the ascetic took only her holy books. At the newly constructed Savior-Transfiguration monastery the saint taught the girls to copy books, singing, sewing and other handicrafts.
Through her efforts, a cathedral was built in 1161, which survives to the present day. Saint Euphrosyne also founded a men’s monastery dedicated to the Mother of God. Patriarch Luke of Constantinople sent a copy of the wonderworking Ephesus Icon of the Mother of God at her request. Shortly before her death, Saint Euphrosyne journeyed on pilgrimage to the Holy Places with her nephew David and sister Eupraxia.
After venerating the holy things at Constantinople, she arrived in Jerusalem, where at the Russian monastery of the Most Holy Theotokos the Lord granted her a peaceful end on May 24, 1173.
In 1187 the body of the saint was transferred to the Kiev Caves monastery, and the relics were transferred to Polotsk in 1910 to the monastery she founded.
Saint Euphrosyne of Polotsk was glorified in the Russian Church as a patroness of women’s monasticism.
[Saint Euphrosyne is a saint of diverse talents from making books, starting a monastery, defending the arts and comissioning a cross to be made, singing and teaching others how to sing, sewing and loving prayer and serving God! She rightfully is the patron of the parish Sisterhood with such a life!]